The Most Forgiving Irons in 2020 (Reviews & Buying Guide)
Golf truly is a beautiful and fantastic game. It is also one of the most expensive and toughest sports out there. Whether you are shopping for new clubs or you are buying your first set, you will find that irons make up the most significant portion of a player’s bag.
This means that choosing your irons will be crucial. Not only do you want to select a good quality set of irons, but also you want to choose ones that will enhance your overall play. There will be tons to choose from, but this guide will point out the qualities and specifications that you need to look for.
Low Center Of Gravity
If you are starting or have a high handicap, you are going to want to shop for an iron that will get the ball airborne as quickly as possible. A club that offers the highest possible offset with a low center of gravity will provide you with this ability. These types of irons usually also come with a large club her perimeter, which will give even more forgiveness.
Most Forgiving Irons: A Quick Comparison
An Extended Sweet Spot
The more you learn about golf, you will find that each club has a sweet spot. This is usually located in the center of the club or iron. And, when you hit the ball in this spot, it will provide the maximum amounts of spin, height, and speed that you need. Of course, hitting that spot every time will be quite the task. This is where extended sweet spot clubs can come in handy. Some irons will offer extended sweet places, which make it much easier for the player with high handicaps to reduce their score by a few strokes.
Not only is it essential to achieve height faster, but you also need to make sure that your ball is landing softer. When your shot doesn’t fall softly, it can either take a bad bounce or roll longer than it should. Either way, you are going to end up further away from your target. This is why it is imperative to seek out clubs that will provide a soft landing. Clubs with a lower center of gravity and steeper launch angles can usually offer this kind of landing benefit.
Cavity Back Head
There are many different types of heads available when it comes to golf irons. However, it is the cavity back heads that are incredibly forgiving. This is because they have been hollowed out, which removes weight from behind the center of the club’s face. This feature provides the club’s head with more mass around the perimeter and changes the physical appearance as well as the weight characteristics. This feature can also affect the impact that the head has when it hits the ball. If your swing if softer this kind of head will still give you maximum distance.
Over-Sized Cavity Back Head
The over-sized cavity back head is even more forgiving than the cavity back head. These clubs make it much easier to make perfect contact with the ball because the surface area is far more significant and most of the weight is stored around the perimeter of the head. If you hit the ball off-center, you are still likely going to achieve a straighter and longer shot.
Graphite shafts are excellent when it comes to providing forgiveness. Not only are they much lighter than the traditional poles, but also they can add distance to your game. Whether you have a weak swing or you are getting up there in age, the graphite shaft will provide the maximum distance that you need to reduce your handicap.
Flex is extremely important when it comes to shopping for irons. The flex refers to the flexibility of the shaft when force is applied during the swing. This is important because the position of the head can change as the shaft flexes throughout the swing. If the head doesn’t contact the ball perfectly straight or square it will throw off your shot or make it more ineffective. There are five different flexes available to choose from.
- Stiff flex – This is usually suitable for someone that can drive the ball 250 yards.
- Regular flex – This flex is good for 225-250 yards and probably the most popular.
- The senior flex – This flex is suitable for 200-225 yards.
- Ladies flex – This flex is suitable for 200 yards or less.
1. Cleveland Golf Men’s’ Launcher HB Iron Set
It has been quite a while since Cleveland launched a new set of iron on the market, but their new Launcher has some qualities that ever golfer benefit for. Don’t be fooled by its simplistic design because this iron really can enhance your overall performance on the green.
- Hollow construction
- High strength Ht1770 steel face
The hollow construction of the Launcher is one of the most impressive things about the iron. The hollow design provides more impact when making contact with the ball. Not only does it offer more results, but also it does it with stability, giving you the ability to control where your shot goes. This in combination with the internal, stabilizing ribs really gives the Launcher a crisp, solid feel that can’t be matched.
Cleveland also utilizes what is known as a HiBore Crown design in the Launcher. This feature really allows the golfer to establish a low, deep CG position. This means that you are going to be able to get more lift on the ball. Whether you are trying to chip your way out of a sandpit or tall grass, you won’t have a problem doing so.
When it comes to a forgiving iron, you just cannot beat the new hybrid Launcher. Not only with you gain speed and distance, but also you will increase height on your shots, giving you the ability to land the ball softer.
- Hollow construction provides more impact and stability
- HiBore Crown gives you more lift
- High-Strength steel face gives you more speed
- Both left and right-hand model available
- Constructed with high-quality graphite material
- Set includes seven different clubs
- Might be a bit bulky for some individuals
- Weighs 7 pounds
2. Cobra Men’s 2018 F-Max One Length Golf Iron Set
Cobra has completely re-engineered their F-Max One Length irons, and it is safe to say that they have done quite the job. If you are looking for some extra forgiveness to get your handicap down, you will certainly see that this iron has the qualities that can help you do just that.
- One Length Set Makeup-F-Max One Length irons have been re-engineered for 7 Iron weighting
- Offset Design-An offset hostel design creates higher launch with more draw bias for straighter, more accurate shots
The Head Construction
The first thing you will notice right away with this re-engineered iron is that the head is thinner. Cobra decided to utilize a thinner 17-4 stainless steel in their long irons (4i-7i). Why is this important? Well, it provides improved speed and distance. Giving you the ability to chip in those longer shots and reach the green with accuracy. In the 8-iron and the P club Cobra utilized 431 stainless steel in short lines. This provides an ultra-soft feel and gives the golfer more precision.
Deep Undercut Design
Another impressive thing about the F-Max One Length is that it features a lower profile head with a deep undercut design. This feature gives you the ability to get under the ball more so that you can get higher launches with maximum ball speed off-center hits.
Whether you are a softer swinger or you need a little more forgiveness for your game, the F-Max One Length irons have qualities that can improve your overall game.
- Ultra lightweight design (Only weighs 5.5 pounds)
- Low profile head with deep undercut design provides maximum launch height and speed
- Thinner stainless steel on the 4-7 iron
- Softer stainless steel on the 8-iron and sand wedge
- Larger grips offer more comfort and consistency
- Only include five clubs
- No gap wedge or sand wedge
3. Mizuno Golf Men’s JPX-900 Fairway Wood
One look at the JPX-900 Fairway Wood and you will instantly fall in love. This wood looks terrific with a black and purple color scheme. However, that is not the only reason to love the club, because it certainly has some qualities that will take your game to the next level.
- Shockwave sole enables the club head to contract and expand on impact
- Hot metal face for industry leading ball speeds
Quick Switch Hosel
This wood offers something that you will not find anywhere else. And, this is the quick switch hosel. Located on the back of the head, you will find an adjustment pin that allows you to move the centerpiece forwards or backward. This is extremely important because it will enable you to add spin or take spin away. This really gives you the ability to customize your game completely.
The head of the JPX-900 Fairway Wood also features what is known as a shockwave sole. This extra feature pushes the center of gravity forward, which will enable the clubhead to flex more when it makes contact with the ball. This not only provides more distance and power, but it will give you that extra forgiveness that you are looking for.
This club not only looks great and enhances your overall performance, but it allows you to customize your game.
- Wood looks amazing
- Adjustable set screw allows you to add distance and height to your shots
- Shockwave sole add distance and speed while giving you more forgiveness
- Waffle crown provides more impact on launch
- Only weighs 1.2 pounds
- Includes adjustment tool and headcover
- Not a set. Just one club, but with the adjustment screw you can adjust to a 3 or 5 wood.
4. Callaway Golf 2018 Men’s Rogue X Individual Iron
Callaway’s Rogue iron has undergone a total transformation and the new 360 Face Cup design provides all the qualities that you need more maximum forgiveness. Whether you are looking to take your game to the next level or reduce your handicap a bit, you cannot go wrong with the new Rogue X.
- 360 Face Cup + VFT for more Ball Speed
- MIM'd Internal Standing Wave for Optimal Flight and Control
Lighter, Longer And Stronger
When you compare the Rogue X to the original Rogue, you will notice right away that the Rogue X is lighter, stronger and longer. The full sole of the head allows you to pull the CG low and deep so that you can raise your launch and get longer carries.
Variable Face Thickness Technology (VFT)
The Rogue X combines its 360 Face Cup technology with a new Variable Face Thickness technology. What this does is it expands the portion of the face that provides faster ball speeds. This in combination with the shallow, flexible rim around the perimeter of the face provides maximum flex when making contact with the ball. This is going to give you more ball speed and distance when you hit that sweet spot, which is increased.
The Rogue X provides all the forgiveness that you need to take your game to the next level.
- Lighter, longer and stronger than the traditional Rogue
- 360 Face Cup and Variable Thickness technology
- Internal standing wave provides optimal flight and control
- Urethane microsphere give a comfortable feel
- Not an entire set. Just one club. Other clubs are available, but they will have to be purchased separately.
5. TaylorMade Men’s M2 Golf Iron Set
The M2 iron is an excellent set that has the ability to give you the extra distance without sacrificing trajectory. This is an attractive feature when it comes to forgiveness because it makes it easier for the recreational player to hit better approach shots. This will help you get to the green, but the extra height that you will be able to achieve with the club will help you stay there.
- Dramatic distance from every iron
- Steel-reax 88Hl
The Fluted Hosel Design
One unique thing that you will find with the M2 is that it has a unique fluted hosel design. This design allowed the engineers to remove the weight from the hosel and redistribute it to the sole of the club. What this does is it gives you the ability to get higher launches combined with faster ball speeds.
If you are looking to make a few strokes off your game, you could do more worse than the M2.
- Available for both right and left-handed players
- Designed to provide maximum forgiveness
- Get distance without sacrificing trajectory
- Fluted hosel design provides higher launches with faster ball speed
- Just a single club
- Might take some getting used to