In this day and age, all consumers need access to a reliable automobile. If you do not have an automobile, you’ll find yourself relying on someone else for a ride back and forth to work or school. After a period of time, you’ll wear out your welcome.
Unfortunately, owning an automobile isn’t all that it is cracked up to be! In fact, once you’ve invested in a car, you’ll be required to take on various responsibilities to ensure your vehicle remains in outstanding condition. One thing you’ll need to do is make sure your vehicle is running efficiently.
This is where a good OBD2 Scanner will prove to be helpful.
Quick Comparison tableInvalid table id.
How to Choice the Best OBD2 Scanner
When taking the time to scour through your options, you will become overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices available. Unfortunately, the market is truly oversaturated and therefore, it will be very easy to make the wrong choice. With this in mind, you’ll need to take some time to examine your precise needs and the products on the market. When doing so, you will want to consider the features examined below.
The majority of consumers will want to know precisely how much to spend on one of these devices. The truth of the matter is that you should not be afraid to spend extra. In general, you’ll receive a better product and a lengthier warranty by spending a little more. Nonetheless, you shouldn’t overdo it either. Therefore, you should set a limit for your investment and move forward from there.
Phone Or Scanner
Over the years, these scanners have evolved substantially. Today, it is possible to purchase a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner that can be controlled from an iPad or iPhone. While all of these devices will work the same, some people will prefer one type or the other. If you do not want an additional tablet, you should opt for the OBD2 scanner iPad iPhone option. This will give you the ability to monitor your vehicle’s status from almost anywhere. And, you’ll only need to use your iPhone to do so.
Before moving forward, it is absolutely essential to make sure you choose a scanner that will work with your automobile. Whether or not you know it, not all scanners will work with all automobiles. Some are only compatible with certain makes and models. To ensure you’ll be able to use your scanner to the fullest, you should opt for one that works with all OBD II compliant automobiles.
When investing in one of these scanners, you need to make sure you’ll be able to handle the installation procedure. Some of these devices can be very difficult to install and you may need access to a bunch of different tools. On the other hand, some scanners can be installed in seconds, without any tools whatsoever. Obviously, you should opt for a scanner that perfectly accommodates your skill level and your toolbox.
Trouble Code Database
Once you’ve scoured through some of the OBD2 Scanner Android products, you will find that each will utilize a database to access and analyze trouble codes. The size of the database will help to determine the overall effectiveness of the product. If you choose a scanner that has access to a very limited database, you may not be able to figure out what your error code is telling you. With this in mind, you should at least make sure your scanner of choice offers a catalog of 7,000 error codes. This will ensure you’re always able to figure out what has gone wrong.
Finally, you should remember to take a moment to check out the warranty provided with the product in question. The warranty will prove to be immensely beneficial and will help to protect your investment. In general, you should definitely spend a little extra, if it helps you obtained a better warranty. It’ll pay off in the long run.
A reliable OBD II Scanner can prove to be enormously beneficial for all vehicle owners. However, you should take your time and carefully read the OBD2 scanner review, before making your investment. By doing so, you will have a much better chance of getting a product that is actually worth your money.
Below, you will be able to learn more about finding the best OBD2 scanner for your individualistic needs.
1. Autel AL519 OBD II Scan Tool
Every vehicle has a computer system and as time goes on, these systems are becoming more and more complicated. In fact, most cars in today’s time are becoming more computerized than ever. This is why if you are an aspiring mechanic or a DIY type person you need the best diagnostic tools available for reading computers. Not only can Autel AL519 AutoLink Scanner help you precisely pinpoint computer problems, but also it can do it much faster.
- 【All 10 Modes of OBDII Tests】: Autel AL519 OBDII scanner can perform all 10 modes of OBDII tests for complete OBD2 diagnosis, including read codes, erase codes, view live data, patented one-click smog check, freeze frame data, O2 monitor test, on-board monitor test, component test, view vehicle information, module present. AL519 scanner is the most complete & cost-effective OBD2 code reader for home mechanics and DIYers to solve check engine light issue and daily quick check.
- 【Turn off Check Engine Light(MIL)】: AL519 check engine code reader offers complete OBDII diagnostics from pulling DTCs, read live data stream of various sensors, capture freeze frame data to show how the issue happened, to even perform On-Board Monitor Test(Mode 6), O2 Monitor test, and Component Test to check misfire and fuel system to locate bad O2 sensors and figure out the root cause of the Check Engine Light (CEL) and help you turn it off in the most efficient way.
Last update on 2021-04-12 at 03:37 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Large Display With A Built-In Speaker
The AL519 features a large TFT display, which allows users to see the screen much clearer and easier. After all, these machines plug into some of the darkest places, which can make it hard to see the screen, but with the AL519 you will never have to worry about this problem. Along with this, the diagnostic system also includes a built-in speaker that can provide audio cues to assist you in diagnosing your vehicle. The system is also capable of recording data that you have read, which can be played back at a later date.
Compatible With A Variety Of Vehicles
There are probably over a thousand different makes of vehicles available on the open market. This is why the AL519 was designed to work with all 1996 and newer vehicles. The system is compatible with domestic, Asian, and European vehicles. On top of this, this AL519 can be updated through the Internet, so that mechanics have access to all the latest codes. This compact diagnostic tool also comes along with a handy carrying case, so you never have to worry about a place to store the tool when you are not using it.
- Comes with a handy and durable storage case
- Capable of being updated through the Internet
- Large TFT colored display with a built-in speaker
- Save data and play it back at a later date
- Very compact design
- Reset check engine light and other malfunctioning lights
- One-click key provides quick and accurate readings
If you are a mechanic look for an edge, when it comes to computer diagnostics, you simply can’t go wrong with the Autel AL519 AutoLink Enhanced OBD II Scan Tool. This unique scanner really has all the makings of the more expensive diagnostic at only a fraction of the price.
2. BlueDriver OBDII Scan Tool
Don’t you just hate it when that pesky check engine light pops up on your vehicle? It is usually followed by a long trip to the auto shop, where you end up spending all day and a ton of money just to replace a little bitty $50 sensor. This is something that you could have done all on your own if you just access to the right equipment. Well, now you can perform your own check engine diagnostics with the BlueDriver. The BlueDriver is a professional diagnostic tool that was designed by professional engineers in North America. The device is officially licensed and designed for use for Apple and Android phones.
- Read and clear your Check Engine Light and all other vehicle systems. Get your unlimited free vehicle specific Repair Reports, generated from our database of millions of fixes verified by Professional Automotive Technicians
- As easy to use as a code reader with all the capabilities of an expensive handheld scan tool, plus the benefits of your smartphone or tablet (free app updates, portability, saving data, interactive graphing of live data)
Last update on 2021-04-12 at 02:55 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Provides You With A Variety Of Reports
This handy little device is not only capable of diagnosing your vehicle’s computer system, but once the app is synced up with your phone, it will send tons of helpful and useful information to your smartphone. For instance, it will send you the error code definition, suggestions on how to fix the code, and possible causes for the error. This little inexpensive device can provide you with all the features and benefits of the most expensive diagnostic scanners on the market. All of these reports are drawn from a database that contains over 4.3 million different fixes that are verified by professional mechanics.
Easy To Use
Most of the scanning tools can be very complicated and hard to use. You almost have to be a professional, licensed mechanic to understand how to use them. However, that is simply not the case with the BlueDriver. This device is just as easy as connecting an OBDII plug to a computer. Anyone with very little knows how can operate this unique diagnostic tool with ease.
- Designed for easy use
- The huge database contains over 4.3 million possible fixes
- Designed by professional engineers
- The specialized app sends all the information to your smartphone
- Work with 1996 and newer models
- Officially licensed and designed to be used with Apple and Android devices
Next time that pesky check engine light pops on, instead of paying a mechanic to diagnose the problem simply hook up your BlueDriver and diagnose the problem yourself.
3. Autel AL319 Scan Tool
The Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD II Scan Tool is undeniably very affordable. Nonetheless, this diagnostic tool is thoroughly versatile and can be utilized with a large number of automobiles. At the same time, the scanner’s design and build ensure it can withstand the test of time. If you want a good scan tool, which will serve you and your family for many years to come, this one will prove to be well worth the cost. The beautiful LED screen and a built-in speaker will provide you with the information you need when you need it!
- For End User & DIYERS: This error code reader is ‘plug and play’ and comes with an easy interface. Even if you’re not familiar with vehicle repair, you can quickly take control of this code reader, and get the information you want
- Turn Off CEL: This car diagnostic tool supports reading DTCs, displaying Live Data, Freeze Frame & I/M Readiness etc to figure out the root cause of the Check Engine Light (CEL) and turning it off to help you detect any potential problems
Last update on 2021-04-12 at 03:37 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Despite the immense affordability of the Autel AutoLink, it is surprisingly much more versatile than many of the alternatives. In fact, the product works with domestic and import automobiles. This product is compatible with vehicles from the year 1996 and forward. Therefore, it should work fluidly with all vehicles currently on the road. At the same time, this scanner features a plug-and-play type functionality. Therefore, it can easily be used for multiple vehicles. It should also be known that this product is compatible with generic, pending and manufacturer specific codes.
It can also analyze freeze frame data. When it comes down to it, there is nothing that the Autel AutoLink cannot do!
- Compatible with all vehicles from 1996 and newer
- Works with generic, pending and manufacturer specific codes
- Analyzes freeze frame data
- Color-coded LED makes analyzing the information effortlessly
- Features a built-in speaker
- Very lightweight and compatible
- Can be used with multiple vehicles
- Compatible with domestic and import automobiles
- Plug and play usage is very convenient
- Very simple to operate and use
All in all, the Autel AutoLink AL319 is certainly a good investment for automobile owners. While this particular OBD2 scanner is very affordable, its functionality and reliability are nearly unparalleled. In fact, the product far exceeds its competitors in most categories. It is compatible with more vehicles than the alternatives. At the same time, the plug and play functionality allows this scanner to be used with multiple automobiles. Therefore, it is truly well worth its price!
4. OBD MATE OBD II Scan Tool
If you’re looking for an outstanding OBD II reader and do not want to break the bank, you should look no further than the OBD MATE. This product is available in two cool colors. While this might not improve the performance of the product, it still provides you with a little personalization and ensures you get a color that you actually like. More importantly, the product is compatible with all vehicles from the year 2000 and later. Therefore, it works with a large quantity of American, Asian and European automobiles.
- 【Extensive Application】The Car Code Reader is compatible with most 2000 & later OBDII compliant US, European & Asian vehicles, supporting CAN (Controller Area Network) & all other current OBDII protocols. The language Supports English, German, French, Spanish, Finnish, Dutch, Russian and Portuguese.
- 【Multifunctional and Helpful】The auto code scanner automatically read DTCs when connected to vehicle; Read live datastream; Easily determine the cause of the “Check Engine Light”; Available for I/M Monitor Readiness Test; Turn off the MIL (Check Engine Light) & View Freeze Frame Data; Read hard memory/pending intermittent and historic codes; Retrieve car information.
Last update on 2021-04-12 at 03:37 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The device is also very easy to use. It comes with a simple connector. Once the plug has been connected to your automobile, you’ll be able to receive an accurate diagnosis within a matter of seconds. Thanks to the setup of this product, it can be used for multiple vehicles.
Tons Of Functionality
Before going any further, you should take the time to learn about the functionality of the OBD MATE OBD II Car Vehicle Code Reader. This product is capable of performing a wide assortment of actions. First and foremost, it can read and clear trouble codes. It is compatible with generic and pending codes, as well as codes that are manufacturer specific. The product is also capable of reading live data streams and inspecting the I/M readiness status of your automobile. Finally, the product can detective OBD II Freeze Frame information.
Everything will be clearly displayed on the oversized LCD screen. This makes the scanner suitable for everyone, including those with bad eyes.
- Capable of reading and clearing trouble codes
- Can also read live data stream
- Detects freeze frame information
- Protected by a 1-year warranty
- Very compact and easily portable
- The large LCD screen is easy to read
- Plug-and-play setup makes usage simple and quick
- Can be used with multiple automobiles
- Communicates with the computer safely
At the end of the day, the OBD MATE is definitely a solid investment. The product is incredibly reliable and works fluidly with a wide assortment of automobiles. In fact, it can be used for several vehicles, thanks to the plug-and-play functionality.
5. Autel Scan Tool
As an auto mechanic, you probably have a long list of tools in your toolbox. With this said, you are probably lacking a tool for diagnostic scanning. If so, you should consider investing in the Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN. This tool has a compact and lightweight design, making it perfect for your front shirt pocket. The MS300 has a small backlit LCD screen that will show readouts and DTC definitions. The scanner supports OBDII vehicles from the United States, Europe, and Asia.
- TURN OFF CHECK ENGINE LIGHT: MS300 check engine code reader can read, clear generic, manufacturer-specific and pending codes. It enables you to figure out why CEL is on like a pro and turn off check engine light instantly after proper repair.
- MECHANIC APPROVED: MS300 OBD2 scanner works with most OBDII compliant(OBD2 protocols: KWP2000, ISO2000, ISO9141, J1850 VPW, J1850 PWM, and CAN) sedans, SUVs and light trucks post-1996 for US cars, post-2000 for EU-based and Asian cars.
Last update on 2021-04-12 at 05:01 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Reads And Clears Codes
While the Autel MaxiScan MS300 will not replace the large scanner, it will make a great addition to your toolbox. It has two buttons, one specifically for reading trouble codes and the other for clearing them. A CD catalog is included in the package, with 7,000 Data Trouble Codes and the descriptions for each code.
To make the MS300 more versatile, the company designed the tool for multilingual use. The interface is extremely user-friendly, making it suitable for both novice and proficient mechanics. The adapter will plug directly into the vehicle’s computer, so the mechanic can obtain codes within seconds. Once the issue is repaired, you can plug the scanner back into the computer and reset or erase the code. Yes, it is that simple and you don’t need to be a proficient mechanic to maintain your vehicle, with this compact scanner.
- User-friendly interface
- Small backlit LCD screen
- Reads codes in 5 minutes or less
- Includes a CD with 7,000 trouble codes
- Equipped with a durable OBDII computer plug
- Extremely affordable
- Supports most OBDII vehicles
- Includes an in-depth manual book, with code meanings
The Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool is a handy scanner that will prove to be valuable for any mechanic. The user-friendly interface makes it suitable for both proficient and novice mechanics. Reads and clears codes in minutes, which in turn will boost your productivity.