Best Tactical Flashlight For Home Defense: Review and Buying Guide
A really high-quality tactical flashlight can truly be quite a life-saving device that you will thank yourself for buying.
Everyone knows what a flashlight is. It is designed to perform one function, after all: to illuminate your dark surroundings. However, what not many people know is that you can actually get a tactical flashlight in order to keep yourself safe from harm. These days, it is actually quite important to make sure you have a way to defend yourself. In today’s world, you never know when you’ll need a way to save your own life. This is exactly how so many contenders for the best tactical flashlight for home defense have come about: the need for personal protection.
The models we will be talking about today can be used in many different ways. They can be used for personal defense. They can also be used as a way for you to disorient assailants and attackers in order for you to make your escape. And of course, you can use them for utility – as in, for a flashlight’s intended purpose. Some models may even have additional functions, too. For example, there is some that act as seatbelt cutters in the case of a car accident. Others will also have a way for you to break your car windows or windshield if you get stuck.
There are quite honestly so many good reasons for you to have the tactical flashlight for the defense at your disposal, and so few reasons not to have one. And so, we’ve put together this guide to help you choose the right model. Of course, we’ve also made sure to include some recommendations, too.
1. J5 Tactical V1-Pro
Of all the products on this list, we can say that we recommend the J5 Tactical V1-Pro the most. This model is the ultimate, and it comes with so many different features you’d be silly to miss. The V1-Pro’s LED light display is police-grade, which ensures that you’ll be able to protect yourself in any situation. It’s incredibly light, sporting 300 lumens in max output that focuses in an intense beam out to as far as 600 feet away. It has a low/high/strobe mode so you can be ready no matter what. The focus range of this beam is adjustable so that you can have an intense beam if you want, or a wider focus so you can illuminate a larger area.
- ULTRA BRIGHT & LONG-LASTING - Easily light up an entire room or focus in on objects up to 600 feet away! 10 times brighter than old incandescent lights. Conveniently powered for hours with a single AA battery or a 14500 rechargeable battery. (Batteries not included)
- COMPACT, FOCUS ADJUSTABLE, THREE MODES - 3 Useful Settings (High – Low - Strobe) and wide-to-narrow beam zoom makes it ideal for use around the house, dog walking, hunting, camping or fishing. It is compact enough to fit in your pocket, backpack, or purse.
If you’re worried about battery compatibility, you’ll be happy to know that this model runs on only one AA battery. However, it can also run from a rechargeable battery, although you will have to purchase that separately. One AA battery will last for one hour of running this light at the brightest capacity. For normal use in day to day life, you’ll find it that the AA battery can last you a couple of weeks.
In terms of build quality, this model uses aircraft aluminum, so you can be sure that it will last you a lifetime. Durable enough to endure drops and dings, the V1-Pro is an excellent choice for daily life. And of course, it is certainly in contention for the best tactical flashlight for defense.
- Incredibly durable
- Small and portable
- Very bright
- 3 modes
- Rechargeable battery comes separately
2. SABRE Tactical LED Flashlight and Stun Gun
If you aren’t satisfied with just a regular tactical flashlight, up to your game with the SABRE. It is a tactical LED flashlight AND a stun gun – all in one. The makers of this device want you to know just how powerful it is, so much so that they even put together a video. In this video, you can learn how to use this flashlight effectively so you can fight off any attackers and make a safe getaway.
- PROTECT YOURSELF WITH EXTREME STOPPING POWER! This tactical and strong pain-inducing stun gun has an impressive 1.139 µC charge (intolerable pain)—reliable protection when you need it most! Independently tested by Rassettica Testing Ltd [see exam certificate on left]
- DEFEND UP CLOSE AND AT A DISTANCE – Deliver a very loud & intimidating 95 dB when you deploy your stun gun which sounds like a subway train approaching. Also includes a bright 80 Lumen LED flashlight with high, low and strobe settings
For your convenience, this flashlight does not use batteries (as in double As or triple As). Instead, it is rechargeable. It comes with a bunch of accessories: a belt clip, a strap for your wrist, a holster, and of course a warranty so that your purchase is protected. You can set your flashlight to use a traditional night vision LED for illuminating your path. There is also a strong, but dim, light if you prefer it. Additionally, a strobe effect is available if you need it.
This flashlight is designed to be tough yet safe for use – and at the same time, you can protect yourself with its painful stun.
- Stun gun to protect yourself
- Comes with accessories
- 3 modes
- Complaints about durability
- Warranty not as advertised (supposedly lifetime, but actually only two years)
3. Smith & Wesson Tactical Penlight
Smith & Wesson also make a product that is a solid contender for the tactical flashlight for home defense. If you are wondering, the answer is yes – that company Smith & Wesson, the one that makes guns. Quite truthfully, at this point, this company is such a big name in the world of self-defense type products that it truly comes as no surprise that they also have a tactical flashlight. This product works fantastically for self-defense.
- SPECS: 30-hour runtime, 5.85” overall length and weighs 1.7 oz
- BRIGHTNESS: Battery powered, LED penlight and runs off 2xAAA batteries (included)
Smith & Wesson’s offering gives you a tactical penlight that is water-resistant. This makes it great for all weather applications, regardless of if you’re camping, hiking, or fishing. It’s military grade, constructed with anodized aluminum, so it can survive drops of a few feet. This pocket-sized wonder gives you a sharp tip for getting yourself out of sticky situations when you’re trapped in cars and the like. You can also use it for self defense.
- Comes from a pedigree brand
- Pocket sized
- Uses 2 triple A batteries
4. Vipertek LED Tactical Flashlight
For another product in consideration for the title of best tactical flashlight, look no further than the Vipertek. This flashlight will help you get out of many sticky situations, especially the ones that you never expect. To prevent all of your worries and to get you out of any problematic moments, Vipertek has your back. The bulb has a run time of 100,000 hours, which pretty much equates to 11 YEARS of nonstop use. For occasional use, you could easily get double or even triple that.
- Heavy Duty Stun Gun with 350 Lumen Tactical Flashlight
- Type III aircraft grade aluminum alloy body with anti-roll design; 100,000-hour bulb
The fact is that this flashlight is so powerful that it’s banned to ship in certain states. Simply put, this light is so bright and powerful that you can actually disable your enemies with it. It works by disrupting the signals from their brain that go to their muscles, making them lose control and drop onto their knees. Furthermore, they will also be disoriented afterwards, which allows you enough time to getaway. In the case that your assailant is able to get close enough to touch you, you can zap them with the stun gun.
- Really long life
- Lifetime warranty
- Stun gun
- Banned for shipping in a bunch of states
5. Lux Power Tactical V1000 LED Flashlight
Last, but certainly not the least, is the LuxPower. This device is an “as seen on tv” product, but that doesn’t mean that it slacks on the quality. They have now branched out to selling on Amazon, so that they can instead offer you lower prices. For amazing lighting effects that don’t break your bank, the LuxPower is a great choice.
Furthermore, you’ll find that LuxPower offers great features such as lighting effects, a solid build made from full aluminum, and two flashlights – for the price of one. Both are also pocket-sized for ease of use. You can disorient your attackers with this light, but at the same time, you can still use this for practical needs.
- Water + shock resistant
- Mixed reviews
Before you go ahead and click that “add to cart” button for the tactical flashlight in your opinion, let’s take a look at the things you should be considering beforehand. This buying guide should help you to figure out what exactly suits your needs and what doesn’t. Hopefully, this will allow you to make a better, more informed decision as to what you should be buying!
The first and most important thing you should be considering is your budget. Truth be told, most of the items we’ve included on this list are not at all that expensive – and so they will suit most budgets. However, there are still a few products that are pricier than others. In those cases, you might want to see if it’s really worth splurging or if it doesn’t matter anymore.
What Are Your Needs?
Next thing you want to consider is what your needs are. There are a ton of different features across a on of different products. As a result, you do need to look for a product that suits you perfectly. For example, if you know you’ll be in situations where you’ll be near water frequently, you should be looking for a product that is 100% waterproof. However, if you only really need this for home defense, then you won’t be needing your flashlight to be waterproof, and instead just water-resistant.
How Many Lumens?
Lumens are basically the measure of emitted energy from the bulb. The higher the number, the brighter your bulb will be. However, it also corresponds to your flashlight getting much hotter during use. Thus, if you don’t think you’ll need the absolute brightest, then a lower lumens will work just fine. Just as long as it’s 120 minimum, which is the threshold at which you’ll be able to still disorient your attackers.
Size of the Flashlight
Of course, it is also important to consider what size you want your flashlight to be. Of course, you will want it to be small enough to fit in a pocket, and light enough that you won’t feel its weight. For best results, you will probably want one that is about 5 inches long, or smaller.
Your flashlight can be powered by either a built-in battery, a rechargeable battery or your regular double and triple As. In some cases, your flashlight can also have an option to run off two different power sources, for example in a case when your lithium battery dies. Then, you can use your alkaline battery as a backup.
Some tactical flashlights have the option for zooming. This allows you to focus your beam to make it really intense. It also allows you to widen your lens so you can illuminate a bigger area. Not all of the devices come with this feature, however. If you feel like you won’t need this as much, then there’s no real need to get a flashlight that includes it.
Considering the battery life of your device is also important. In doing so, you’ll be able to check whether the product you choose will last you long periods of time, or if it will only last an hour of use at its brightest. The battery life of your flashlight is quite important because it will help in determining its actual use. It may also be worth considering a device that allows you to swap out your batteries so you can have a back up just in case.
Frequently Asked Questions
How bright does the light have to be to blind an assailant?
In order for the tactical flashlight for home defense to be effective in blinding your assailant, it is recommended to have it at a minimum of two hundred and fifty lumens for all-around use. At a minimum, it has to be 120 lumens for self-defense – anything lower than this and you won’t be able to disorient your attacker. The bulb cannot use traditional incandescents, because they simply are not bright enough.
Are tactical flashlights legal to use?
Generally, tactical flashlights are still flashlights. As such, they are completely legal to use – as long as they’re just standard (but brighter) flashlights in much more durable casings. On the other hand, if your model of choice is extra, extra bright or has a stun gun included, you may want to check your local state laws. In the case of the Vipertek above, for example, it is illegal for shipping in certain US states. The best way to answer this question is to check your local state laws. And, when in doubt, you can also ask the seller of the product.
How do I maintain my flashlight?
Although these devices aren’t expensive per se, you still want to maintain them as much as you possibly can. This is because you want to be sure that your flashlight will always be ready to perform in any situation you might find yourself in. To maintain it, make sure that you take care of it properly. All you need to do is: clean, replace, protect, and lubricate.
- Clean any dirt and/or grime off the outside of your flashlight. You can use rubbing alcohol or any cleaner that cuts grease and evaporates. Use lint-free fabric such as microfiber. If your device has a lot of grooves and knurls, you can use a bristled brush (start with soft bristles and gradually increase if this is not sufficient). Be careful as you wipe down the lens so that you do not scratch it. For this, perhaps use a cloth like ones used for cleaning eyeglasses. Clean the inside of your flashlight by taking out the batteries and cleaning the contacts. Cotton buds (such as q-tips) will come in handy for this purpose). If you find you have any corrosion, you may want to use a specific cleaner for electric contacts.
- Replace any parts that are corroded or compromised. In the case of water resistant devices, for example, take a look at the o-rings – they are the ones most likely to suffer damage sooner.
- Protect your flashlight by applying conditioning products on the contacts to enhance their effectiveness.
- Lubricate your flashlight by using specific products to make sure the o-rings don’t dry out. You can use things such as Krytox, Nyogel, or even Nano-oil.