Table of Contents
I grew up in an era when watchdogs reigned supreme as the best way to protect your house. Today, the world is evolving, and urban areas are seeing a decrease in the number of watchdogs, which calls for more modern approaches to security, such as surveillance cameras and garage alarms, which protect your house from intruders trying to get in from one of the house’s most vulnerable spots – the garage.
Getting a security device is no small feat, though, and finding the best garage alarm can be a daunting task for non-experts. Worry not, though, as we’ve already done the heavy lifting and chose the best garage alarms that you can get today.
So, without further ado, here goes our list of the top garage alarms:
1. Ring Floodlight Cam
- Works with Alexa to launch real-time video with your voice
- Lets you see, hear and speak to visitors from your phone, tablet and PC
- Two-way audio for easy communication
- Sends alerts right to your device
- Both floodlights and alarm
- No video recording unless you’re subscribed
Ring, as the name indicates, started as a manufacturer that specializes in producing doorbells, but it soon expanded into other departments of the security realm, including surveillance cameras. The Ring Floodlight Cam easily gets the title of the overall best garage alarm for a simple reason: it’s an all-in-one, feature-packed security device, not just an alarm.
Features that we like in the Ring Floodlight Cam include the built-in floodlights, which are a sure way to scare any intruder or animal trying to break into your house, the siren alarm, which is loud enough to give anyone the chills, and the two-way audio, which allows you to not only see but also communicate with whoever is standing in front of the camera. The field of view of 270 degrees is just the cherry on top, as it allows you to monitor every spot, including blind spots.
To make using this security camera a breeze, Ring has a convenient app that’s easy to use. Through the app, you can set off the alarm, flash the lights, and even zoom in with the camera from the comfort of your couch – or wherever you may be. Oh, and don’t worry, you don’t need to keep monitoring the camera 24/7, as the device will send you instant alerts to your preferred model – be it a smartphone, computer, or tablet – whenever it detects up motion on the IR video.
Unfortunately, the Ring Floodlight Cam only supports recording and playback if you subscribe to one Ring’s cloud plans.
As we mentioned, not only is the Ring Floodlight Cam the best garage alarm, but it’s also one of the, if not THE, best security cameras you can get to add an extra layer of protection to your house and keep it safe from intruders and stray animals.
2. Guardline Wireless Driveway Alarm
- SUPERIOR PRODUCT BY AN AMERICAN COMPANY: With over 250,000+ customers served since 2001, Guardline offers the most DEPENDABLE and accurate outdoor motion detector on the market today. With nearly 20 years of rigorous real-world testing and experience, we have perfected our product so you are guaranteed to be RELIABLY ALERTED to movement around your property.
- REAL PEOPLE, REAL EXPERTISE: We offer an industry leading 2-year warranty and our Seattle-based customer support is here to help you every step of the way-before AND after the sale. We pick up the phone when you call, offer live chat support and easy to follow video tutorials. We share honest reviews by REAL users, industry experts, and buyers like you. We encourage your decision to support American small businesses like ours.
- 500-feet range with effective motion detection
- More than 30 alarm sounds to choose from
- Weatherproof, heavy-duty construction
- Thick walls, buildings, and forestation can affect the signal
Motion detectors are a dime a dozen these days, and most of them aren’t accurate and durable enough for you to feel safe when mounting one in your garage, but not the Guardline Wireless Driveway Alarm.
Guardline’s Wireless Driveway Alarm is composed of an industrial-grade PVC housing, a rubberizes weatherproof seal and a sunshade. All of that allows the device to be practically indestructible. Being wireless, this motion detector relies on AA batteries for power, which can keep it up and running for up to a year, so make sure to check them occasionally and change them when necessary.
The box includes one sensor and one receiver, but you can get up to 16 sensors and unlimited receivers if you’re willing to shell out some extra cash. Each sensor covers a 500-foot range, and the device can detect movement from humans, big animals, and cars.
Now, coming to the features, the Guardline Wireless Driveway Alarm does have a lot to offer. For starters, you can select from over 30 alarm sounds, each funnier than the last. You can even choose a different tone for each area so that you can know exactly where to go when the alarm goes off. The volume can also be adjusted, and the motion detector boasts a “loud” mode that’s super annoying yet oh so effective.
If you’re feeling skeptical considering that alarms with motion detectors often end up sending a handful of false alerts, rest assured as the people at Guardline kept that in mind when making this device, so they included an option to adjust the detection width for the sensor along with a swivel mount to keep the detection angle. They did think of everything, didn’t they?
3. Driveway Informer Wireless Driveway Alarm
- SAVE MONEY & KEEP YOUR FAMILY & PROPERTY SAFE: Have you been looking for the best, wireless, driveway alert system on the market that is both RELIABLE and INEXPENSIVE? Look no further. This incredible, EASY TO OPERATE, driveway alarm kit will protect your family, office, property and belongings without having to pay for ridiculous monthly fees or service plans. Dare to compare; Nothing out there even comes close to the Driveway Informer; CHECK OUT WHY BELOW
- GET THE HIGHEST QUALITY ALARM SYSTEM OUT THERE: You won't find another driveway alarm w/ a 1000 ft RANGE HEAVY DUTY SIGNAL; & LONG LASTING BATTERY LIFE. Made from DURABLE, ALL WEATHER materials, the system is EXPANDABLE to cover even larger areas by simply purchasing and adding multiple receivers (DIR-2000A) and/or sensors (DIT-2000A). Receivers feature a RE-SETTABLE LCD DIGITAL DISPLAY COUNTER, a VOLUME CONTROL KNOB & 2 terminal screws to ADD A VARIETY OF ACCESSORIES.
- Easy installation and operation
- Sturdy, weather-resistant construction
- Easily blends with the anything thanks to the green color
- Finding the best angle and direction can be tricky
The Driveway Informer is an affordable stand-alone garage intruder alarm that, despite the price, boasts an impressive set of features that are bound to help you feel safe at night. Not only does it excel in terms of functions, though, as the construction is equally impressive.
The device is both weather- and water-resistant, which means that you needn’t worry about the unit letting you down during windy, rainy, or snowy days. Despite its heavy-duty build, the Driveway Informer looks good and blends well into any environment so that it can go undetected by intruders while being able to detect them. Talk about irony, huh?
Thanks to the battery-powered PIR sensor that can detect humans, animals, and cars, you can sleep in peace at night knowing that nothing will go undetected. The included receivers feature a couple of terminal screws, a re-settable LCD display counter, and a volume control knob. The unit also comes with a rotating mounting bracket along with screws so that you can mount the receiver with the readily-prepared mounting holes or plug it into any regular wall outlet.
4. Doberman Security SE-0106
- DETECTS WINDOW VIBRATION - Instantly alerts you of a potential break in with loud 100 dB alarm
- UNIQUE ULTRA-SLIM DESIGN - Perfect for your home, office, garage, dorm room, or even RV
- Triggered by vibration
- Effortless mounting and installation
- Can be too sensitive sometimes
Although you shouldn’t skimp on your security devices, there are actually several options that can get the job done without blowing a hole in your wallet, such as the Doberman Security SE-0106, which is our pick for the best garage alarm for those on a budget.
Granted, this unit doesn’t offer any groundbreaking features, but it can do a pretty good job keeping intruders away thanks to the three included AG13 (LR44) button cell batteries, easy installation, and effortless operation it grants. After mounting the device on your garage’s wall, simple toggle the slide switch, and it’s ready to go. The alarm gets triggered by vibration, and it can emit 100 dB sounds that are bound to scare anyone and anything trying to get into your house.
Since it’s triggered by vibration, this alarm can be too sensitive sometimes and may go off because of wind or slamming doors. Also, keep in mind that the Doberman Security SE-0106 is a basic garage alarm, so if you’re after state-of-the-art technology, you’re better off getting a costlier product.
5. LiftMaster 829LM Garage Alarm
- Only Works with MyQ Technology openers. Does not work with all openers
- Lets you know when your door is open or closed. Close the door from inside your home.
- Two tones for opening and closing the garage
- Works with any MyQ remote device
- Red and green alerts
- Cannot specify which door is open
The last recommendation on our list is our pick for the best garage monitor, which can be used to monitor your garage door as well as the main gate of your property easily and effortlessly, even if you’re not a tech-savvy. The LiftMaster 829LM can be easily plugged into any AC power outlet and help you watch your garage by alerting you with either a green or red light when your garage is closed or open. You can even use it to close the garage with the press of a button.
Although you can use this device to monitor up to four gates, it will only alert you when one or more is open without indicating which one it is. You can still use the “shut” button to close all openers at once though, so there’s that.
The only niggle with this device is the fact that it’s not aesthetically appealing. I mean, sure, it’s not so big of an issue, and it definitely isn’t a deal-breaker, but you might want to consider where you’re mounting it as it looks like it came out of a 90’s sci-fi movie.
Choosing the Best Garage Alarm – Buying Guide
Considering the great number of choices and options available today, picking the best garage alarm may seem like a daunting task, but it’s not impossible. Couple the above recommendations with our buying guide, and the right device will be obvious.
Types of Garage Alarms
Garage alarms come in different sizes, shapes, and models. Here are the main types that you can find today:
- Door/Gate Monitors
A gate monitor simply indicates whether your garage door is open or closed using a little built-in sensor. This model can also be used to close the garage gate with the push of a button.
- Motion-Activated Security Cameras
Motion-activated surveillance cameras generally feature a small camera that’s placed outside and can alert you in case they detect movement from humans, animals, or cars. Additionally, security cameras allow you to check the footage later on to identify any intruder.
- Motion Sensor
Motion sensors are similar to security cameras in what they do, but rather than using a camera, they rely on an invisible beam to detect movements.
- Vibration-Triggered Garage Alarms
As the name indicates, devices that fall under this category detect vibration and set off an alarm as soon as the window on which they’re mounted moves or gets shaken.
How to Choose the Right Garage Alarm for Your Property
- What Do You Need it For?
The first thing that you need to determine is how you’re going to use the alarm. For example, if you need to check who’s driving up your driveway, a vibration-triggered device would be the best way to go.
If, on the other hand, you need to monitor and control several gates and doors across your property, then you ought to get something the like LiftMaster reviewed above. To each his own when it comes to the use case for a garage alarm, so make sure to determine yours before making your choice.
Remember, just because a certain unit looks cool, it doesn’t mean that it’s the best garage alarm for you.
- Should You Go with a Wireless or Wired Garage Alarm?
Again, the choice depends on your specific needs and preferences. Generally speaking, wired models don’t offer as many features as wireless ones. In other words, if you’re going to mount the alarm outside, you ought to get a wireless unit. On the other hand, if you’re simply looking for an easy-to-install device that you can use to protect one door or garage, then a wired model can do just fine.
- How Loud Should the Device Be?
You’re probably getting tired of hearing this, but this is yet another feature that totally depends on your specific use case. If you have a big property or you’re purchasing the alarm for a family member with weak hearing, then you should get a loud siren that features easy to use volume controls.
- Do You Need Some Extra Features?
More often than not, garage alarms may boast some additional features that can be worth considering. The Ring Floodlight Cam, which we labeled as the best garage alarm, for example, offers several electronic pairing and voice control capabilities. The Guardline alarm is also pretty impressive thanks to its heavy-duty construction. Finally, the fact that you can use the LiftMaster Garage Door opener with your smartphone is both convenient and exceptional.
Keeping your house safe from intruders and burglars is not an easy task, but it is doable if you get the right equipment, such as the best garage alarm. Any of the above recommendations can be the ideal choice for you, so make sure to determine your needs and preferences before making your choice.