Best BBQ Gloves for Handling Meat – Heat-Resistant Options
If you’re grilling, you must wear a layer of protection to shield your hands from direct heat. Flare-ups, spills, and accidents may happen while you are cooking. You should wear the best BBQ gloves for handling meat and holding hot items. Wearing a pair of gloves will also make a big difference without compromising ease of use and dexterity.
Whether you’re grilling steaks, smoking turkey, baking pizza, or searing meat cuts, you should always have a pair of gloves to wear. This will also keep you grilling comfortably for a long time, especially for large backyard parties and events.
There are many glove options in the market. Each one is made of a specific material and a structure that suits cooking. The key here is finding the glove that suits your needs and a pair that suits your budget. Just make sure that it fits your hands and your grilling style.
Below, we reviewed five of the best BBQ gloves that you can get. We also included a buying guide in the end to help you decide which one is the best pair. There’s the Artisan Griller, Jolly Green, and RAPICCA, among others. Check which one is the perfect fit for you.
1. Artisan Griller BBQ Gloves
If you’re looking for a heavy-duty BBQ glove, you’ll never go wrong with the Artisan Griller BBQ Gloves. It has an insulated palm and fingers for utmost protection against heat. You can also use this to hold hot food items straight out of the grill. And thanks to its decent dexterity, this glove is also ideal in pulling pork.
Moreover, the Artisan Griller has a 14” cuff that extends to your upper arm. This is added protection against flare-ups and convective heat. Aside from grilling, this is also a handy pair of gloves for frying. You can also use this to remove food from boiling water.
- ✔PRO DESIGN - Best design for Barbecue Pits and Pitmasters With An Insulated Non-Slip Five Finger Design So You Can Manage Hot Meats In your Smoker, Rotisserie or BBQ and make pulled pork Like The Pros! The 14" length adds extended protection for most of your arm. Just as useful in the kitchen as they are grilling or frying. The black Large size 9 set of gloves fits most people and is easy to put on and take off.
- ✔COMFORTABLE & FLAME RESISTANT - The Pit Glove has a soft jersey cotton liner that fits loosely so your hands stay cool and comfortable while smoking meats, pulling pork, baking, pickling and other household tasks. The food grade neoprene coating is resistant to melting and is fire resistant, protecting your hands around smokers, grill flames and fire, making them a great camping accessory.
This pair is made of special neoprene rubber with a heat-resistant coating. It’s also waterproof and can be washed entirely after each use. This can resist water, oil, and grease. Inside the glove, there’s a jersey cotton liner to keep your hands comfy as you cook.
The Artisan Griller is FDA-compliant and safe to use on handling food as long as you wash it properly.
Overall, this is a trusty pair. The only downside is that it comes with a chemical smell that will be removed through washing and by airing it out.
- FDA compliant
- Long cuffs
- Can be used on boiling water
- -Comes with a resealable container
- Comes with a mild chemical smell
2. Jolly Green Products Oven & BBQ Gloves
Are you looking for the best silicone gloves for BBQ? You shouldn’t miss the Jolly Green Products Oven & BBQ Gloves. This one can tolerate up to 425F of heat as well as grease, stains, and moisture. As a silicone glove, this is dotted with raised nubs for an excellent grip.
This is 100% waterproof so you can easily wash it after each use. It’s also BPA-free so you will have peace of mind that your food will remain fresh while using this glove.
- FED UP WITH SMELLY, STAINED OVEN MITTS THAT SOAK UP WATER AND BURN YOU? America’s Bestselling Ekogrips are your solution! These silicone BBQ gloves are heat resistant up to 425 degrees and have become the standard for safety and range of use in kitchens and on grills all over America!
- THE ONLY COOKING GLOVES FEATURED ON THE COOKING CHANNEL, BUZZFEED, SOBE FOOD & WINE, & MORE - There’s a reason the Ekogrips have created a buzz, they fully protect both hands AND wrists while maintaining no-slip dexterity both on the BBQ and in the kitchen, from handling hot items fresh off the grill or reaching into hot water, to opening a tough jar - even removing dog hair or changing a lightbulb!
Moreover, this pair of gloves is very flexible and very convenient to use in pulling pork and preparing food. We also like the durability of this glove, thanks to its reinforced finger seams that prevent it from tearing or ripping easily.
This pair has an extended cuff as well that protects half of your arms. Just remember that since this is made of silicone, you should avoid exposing it in direct flames or using it to hold scorching metal.
Also, this pair of Jolly Green Products gloves are covered with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you’re not happy with the gloves, you can ask for a refund without the need to send the item back.
- Money-back guarantee
- 100% waterproof
- BPA-free and FDA-approved
- Not for touching very hot metal surfaces
3. RAPICCA BBQ Grill Gloves
Another pair of gloves you should consider for grilling is the RAPICCA BBQ Grill Gloves. This one is made of rubber neoprene to resist heat. Inside, there’s a soft Kevlar liner that will absorb sweat and keep your hands comfortable while cooking. It also prevents the gloves from slipping out of your hands.
Moreover, this pair of BBQ gloves is BPA-free and FDA-approved to be used on meat items. Make sure that you wash it properly before each use to maintain the freshness of your food. This is also suitable for handling food from boiling water as well as intense steam.
- PRO DESIGN –Made with Food-Grade neoprene rubber, they are water, fire & stain resistant. Designed for the pit master with insulated textured palm non-slip five finger design so you can manage wet or greasy meat in your smoker or bbq and make pulled pork like the pros!
- COMFORTABLE & FLAME RESISTANT – The double layer soft cotton liner not only provide max comfortable fitting but also good insulated from heat, the gloves fits loosely so your hands stays cool and comfortable while tend to your bbq, smoker and other household tasks.The food grade neoprene coating is resistant to melting and is fire resistant, protecting your hands around smokers, grill flames and fire, making them a great camping accessory.
We also like the ridges all over the palms of the glove that make it very grippy. You can use it to hold cooking tools, pot handles, and pulling pork.
This pair of gloves also have an extended cuff length, making the glove 17 inches long. It offers excellent protection against heat and spills.
For a glove rated for up to 932F, there’s nothing left to ask for. Even if it’s extremely heat-resistant, it allows you to carve a turkey or even pull pork easily.
- Very long cuffs
- Rated for up to 932F
- Soft Kevlar lining
- Hard to use when lifting a heavy pan
4. GEEKHOM Heat-Resistant BBQ Gloves
Another silicone gloves that you can use for barbecuing is the pair from GEEKHOM. It’s made of food-grade silicone that’s free from BPA and FDA compliant. It’s also rated for temperatures up to 446F. The external layer of the gloves is textured for an excellent grip.
It has a second layer of protection made of heat-resistant cotton. This adds protection to your hands against intense heat and flames. There are also hang loops on each glove so you can hang it beside your grill.
- EXCELLENT HEAT RESISTANCE. The oven mitts is made of BPA Free silicone, heat-resistant from -104℉to 446℉. Environmentally Friendly, security and durable.
- DUAL-LAYER DESIGN: This BBQ gloves is designed with an outer silicone glove and inner heat-resistant cotton layer, comfortable and moisture wicking, maximize your heat protection from grill and oven temperatures.
Moreover, this pair of BBQ gloves have an extended cuff that makes the glove 13.7 inches long. It’s enough to protect the wrist and upper arm against splashes and flare-ups.
We also like how flexible this glove is that you can easily lift things and pull pork. Also, you will not drop grilling tools with this pair of gloves. You can also use it in pizza stones, though you should avoid touching hot metal with it.
To protect your purchase, the GEEKHOM gloves have a replacement guarantee for 12 months and a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Rated for up to 446F
- Very flexible
- Not for use on boiling water
5. G&F Products BBQ Grill Gloves
Lastly, we recommend the G&F Products BBQ Grill Gloves. This pair is made in handling hot food items like grilled pork and other meat cuts. The outer layer of the glove is made of neoprene rubber with a cotton liner for added comfort and protection. The outer layer of this glove is textured so you can hold items properly without dropping it. Even though it is tough against heat, you can easily open a jar or pull meat with this pair of gloves.
This glove is flame-resistant and can be used in holding hot metal and newly cooked food. It’s also easy to put on and off so you can multitask while you cook.
- Provides grip for all fingers
Moreover, this glove is FDA compliant and BPA-free for your safety. It can also resist grease, oils, water, and other chemicals. This makes the glove very easy to clean after each grilling session.
Aside from that, this has a long cuff that extends up to 14 inches to protect your upper arm. And if you’re not happy with the G&F BBQ gloves, you’re entitled to the brand’s 100% customer satisfaction.
- Durable rubber outer layer
- FDA compliant
- Can be used on boiling water
- Not ideal for small hands
Buying Guide: Best gloves for pulling pork and grilling
Regardless if you’re looking for best nitrile gloves for BBQ or one made with a tougher material, you should always consider the following points:
The material of the BBQ glove
The first thing you have to check is the material of the gloves. BBQ gloves can come in silicone, fabric, leather, and rubber materials.
Rubber offers the best heat resistance while silicone has the least. Still, silicone excels in the dexterity aspect which allows you to prep food and holds grill tools with ease.
On the other hand, fabric gloves are great if you’re cooking in low heat. Usually, this type of glove is covered with silicone strips for added grip and heat resistance.
Lastly, there’s the leather BBQ glove. This is rarely used by pitmasters because it has poor dexterity and a pain to clean. Sure, leather gloves offer great heat resistance, but it’s not the most comfortable pair to wear.
Check the heat resistance
Next, it’s important to check the heat resistance of the gloves. Most BBQ gloves are rated between 300F to 1417F. A pair that can endure at least 440F is already a great buy.
The heat resistance of the glove is affected by its thickness and material. If you want a pair of BBQ gloves with the best protection, you can consider the RAPICCA and Artisan Griller pairs we reviewed above.
Take note that the heat resistance that you need depends on your style of grilling. For high heat cooking, opt for the highest heat protection possible.
Consider a waterproof pair
When shopping for BBQ gloves, it’s always great to choose a waterproof pair. This protects your hands from hot splashes from the food you’re grilling.
Aside from that, a waterproof pair is easy to clean. You can wash it the same way you’ll wash your hands. No dirt or moisture will get absorbed through the material, making it a great choice.
Check the dexterity level
The dexterity level of the gloves pertains to the extent of control it allows. For pulled pork, you’d want a glove with flexible fingers. Still, you should avoid thin and very flexible pairs as it often compromises the heat resistance aspect.
Opt for good grip and long cuffs
Next, you should look for a pair of BBQ gloves that will let you hold grilling tools firmly. Textured options or those with ridges are good options.
Moreover, you should consider a pair of gloves with long cuffs. This protects your wrist and upper arm against heat and flames.
Check the price tag
No one wants to spend a fortune on a pair of gloves. Still, you should look for a pair with the best value. Sometimes, adding a few more dollars will go a long way. Look for one that will give the best value, not just the cheapest pair.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What type of gloves do pitmasters use?
A: Pitmasters usually use heat-resistant rubber gloves when grilling in high heat. For low-heat grilling, some may consider nitrile gloves for the best dexterity. However, nitrile gloves don’t offer much heat resistance so your hands will be exposed to flames and heat.
Q: Can I wash my grill gloves?
A: This depends on the maintenance prescribed on the packaging. Most silicone and rubber BBQ gloves can be washed entirely. Those with fabric exteriors can be tossed into the washing machine. Still, you should check the care instructions on the tag of the glove.
Q: Do I really have to wear a pair of BBQ gloves?
A: If you don’t want burns and blisters from flames or splashes, you should put on a pair of BBQ gloves. Unlike fabric gloves, those made for grilling are thicker, more heat-resistant, and resists moisture.
Q: Can I use BBQ gloves to touch hot coal or firewood?
A: Again, it depends on the heat resistance of the gloves. Silicone BBQ gloves should never be used to touch hot coal or wood. Thick rubber gloves may endure the extreme heat, but only for a couple of seconds. We recommend getting a dedicated pair for prepping coal.
BBQ gloves are essential protective gear when grilling. Even pitmasters wear a pair of this to shield their skin from fire and heat. If you’re planning a long cookout, you might as well get any of the gloves we reviewed above.