These days, everything is connected. Your smartphone, tablet, computer, and even your new refrigerator can be accessed and controlled from the comfort of your couch. So, what’s stopping you from doing the same with your garage?
Controlling your garage remotely can be really convenient, and all you have to do to do it is get the best WiFi garage door opener, which will allow you to not only close and open your garage, but also monitor and share access to your gate from virtually anywhere. Isn’t that just convenient?
The problem is that such a market is flooded with products of all kinds and shapes – each of which claiming to be the best. Worry not though, as we’re here to help. Just couple our picks for the best WiFi garage door opener with our buying guide and the right option for your property will be obvious.
1. Chamberlain B970
- SMART GARAGE CONTROL: Open and close your garage door from anywhere with your smartphone through the myQ App
- NEW! IN GARAGE DELIVERY WITH KEY BY AMAZON: Prime members in select areas can opt in with the B970 to get Amazon packages securely delivered right inside their garage. Simply link your myQ account in the Key App
- MAX LIFT POWER SYSTEM 1.25 HPS: Delivers the highest lifting force in the industry for effortless lifting and reliable performance
- Heavy-duty construction
- Quiet operation
- Easy installation
- Tricky to program
Don’t let the low price of this garage door opener fool you into thinking that it’s not feature-packed or intuitive, as it is.
The Chamberlain B970 is more than a simple device that does nothing but opens your garage, as it’s as feature-rich as it can get. First, the unit boasts a solid construction with a design that’s ideal for attached garages, so make sure to check the compatibility before buying. It also leverages anti-vibration technology along with a super quiet belt drive for noise-free performance.
sports a built-in Smartphone control feature, which allows the user to personalize both the garage and home access set up, thus allowing you to control both from the comfort of your couch.
MyQ’s Chamberlain B970 also doubles as a security device, as it sends real-time alerts of your garage door status, so you don’t have to worry whether or not you closed the gate before leaving the house. You can even schedule your garage door to close at specific times, but that feature is sold separately.
Another feature that we like in the Chamberlain B970 is the backup battery, which ensures that you’ll never get locked out of your house. Even if there’s a power outage, you’d still be able to open and close your garage door with ease.
The only niggles with this unit are the fact that it only supports one account and that it may be tricky to program. Nevertheless, it’s still an excellent model to get, and a strong candidate for the title of the best WiFi garage door opener.
2. Genie ChainMax 1000
- RELIABLE AND QUIET: Traditional, dependable chain drive system offers value and quiet performance with minimal maintenance needed.
- SMOOTH OPERATION: 140-volt DC motor operates with soft start and stop control for easier installation and smoother door travel.
- SLEEK AND CLEAN: Premium reinforced low-profile c-channel rail protects against dirt and debris buildup with flush-mounting capability for low-headroom applications.
- Uses an invisible beam to prevent accidents
- Easy to operate and program
- Quiet performance
- The chain may tangle
When it comes to performance and innovative features, the Genie ChainMax 1000 is a real beast – one that’s both sophisticated and easy to install and program. Despite its affordable price, this garage door opener boasts a rail design that allows for flush mounting and sports a superior construction to extend its longevity. All of that within a well-crafted exterior that ensures that the unit will blend with any environment seamlessly.
There is more to this device than meets the eye though, as the Genie ChainMax 1000 is as feature packed as they get, with not one but three-button remotes that allow you to open and close your garage from practically anywhere. The unit also leverages the Intellicode Security technology, which allows you to modify the access code every time you activate your door, thus preventing any unauthorized person from getting into your property.
For added safety, the device uses an invisible beam to stop the door from opening if it detects someone within its range. That way, you don’t need to worry about accidents, and you can have your ever-wanted peace of mind if you have kids that like moving around all the time.
3. Chamberlain C870 Garage Door Opener
- SMART GARAGE CONTROL: Open and close your garage door from anywhere with your smartphone through the myQ App.
- NEW! IN-GARAGE DELIVERY WITH KEY BY AMAZON: Prime members in select areas can opt-in with the C870 to get Amazon packages securely delivered right inside their garage. Simply link your myQ account in the Key App.
- MAX LIFT POWER SYSTEM-1.25 HPS: Delivers the highest lifting force in the industry for effortless lifting and reliable performance.
- Highest level of encryption
- Easy to install and operate
- Durable construction
- The sensors are overly sensitive
You know a brand is killing it when two of its products get featured on the same “best of” list. The Chamberlain C870, just like its aforementioned sibling, excels in terms of performance, durability, and functionalities, with roughly the same set of features found in the B970 model, including the Lift power system and anti-vibration technology.
This model, however, boasts some extra functionalities and specs, including a control panel for easy programming and operation, and an enhanced Triband technology, which allows you to open and close your garage from a further distance.
Other features that we admire in this unit include the rock-solid encryption, which ensures that no one will be able to access your garage without your permission, and the ability to set a schedule and receive instant notifications.
Although this unit is designed for a 7-feet garage, you can still manage to get it for an 8ft or 10ft garage if you’re willing to purchase the extra extension kits.
This model comes with the same disadvantage of the B970: you can only link it to one account. Also, since this is a delicate unit, the sensors may prove to be too sensitive sometimes.
4. Gogogate 2 Garage Door Opener
- Remotely operation of garage doors and gates from Smartphone, Tablet or PC
- Garage Door / Gate Status Monitoring (video feature optional)
- Smartphone notifications for garage door events (open, close or left open). Easy to Install and program (Not Waterproof)
- Multi-user functionality
- Easy to program and operate
- The same app manages up to three doors
- The manual isn’t as detailed as it should be
If convenience is what you’re after, you might want to consider taking a look at this garage door opener from Gogogate2, which, although cheaper than the products that we reviewed above, is still pretty competitive in terms of functionality.
The first thing that we like in this unit is the ability to control up to three garage doors using the same app and a single device. In other words, if you need more than one garage opener and can’t afford three units of the other models, this is the best WiFi garage door opener for you.
Furthermore, this unit allows you to monitor your garage from anywhere simply by connecting an IP camera to the system. That way, you’ll be able to watch past footage from your smartphone, but you have to get a subscription to make use of that feature.
What really makes this device ahead of the pack though is the fact that the app allows you to create up to 10 users free of charge, making the Gogogate 2 the perfect solution for those looking for a device that can be controlled by any member of the family.
Just like the other products that we reviewed above, this unit can send real-time status updates.
5. NEXX NXG-100 Garage Door Opener
- CONVENIENTLY OPEN AND CLOSE your garage door by turning your existing Wi-Fi network and garage door opener into a single integrated smart device that you can control and monitor from anywhere.
- ACTIVATE YOUR GARAGE DOOR OPENER BY TAPPING on the Nexx Home mobile app, or by giving voice commands to your Alexa,Siri, or Google Assistant devices, automate with SmartThings, or by driving near your garage door.
- MULTI-USER ACCESS & REMOTE MONITORING. You can authorize multiple people to access your garage, you can open and close the door if a guest arrives and you're away, and you can receive notifications if you forget to close the door.
- Sends reminders
- Tricky installation
Let’s put it as simply as we can: if you’re on a tight budget, the NEXX Garage NXG-100 is the best WiFi garage door opener that you can get, period.
Now, does that mean that this unit is average in terms of features?
Not at all! In fact, it boasts several intuitive features that we couldn’t find anywhere else. For instance, the app sends a reminder if you forget your garage door open, something that you can solve instantly by closing the gate immediately with the click of a button. Also, just like the other models on our list, the NXG-100 from NEXX sends real-time alerts either via text or email, depending on your preference.
We also like the fact that this device eliminates the need to type a pin code whenever you need to access your garage. How? By automatically opening the gate when you’re driving near your home. Talk about convenience, huh?
Similarly to the Gogogate 2, the NXG-100 garage door opener allows for several users free of charge, and the app even allows you to check who activated the garage door and when it was activated through the history feature.
The only downside to this device is the installation, which can be tricky without the required tools. Other than that, we would highly recommend the NEXX Garage NXG-100 as the best WiFi garage door opener for anyone on a budget.
Choosing the Best Garage Door Opener – Buying Guide
Now that you’ve seen our list of the best garage door openers for every budget and need, it’s time for you to pick the ideal model for your property. For that, all you have to do is read our buying guide, and the right unit will be obvious.
Why You Should Get a Garage Door Opener
Although purchasing the best WiFi garage door opener may seem like an unnecessary luxury, it’s slowly becoming more of a necessity. Here are the advantages of such an intuitive device:
- You will know exactly who accesses or leaves your home all the time.
- It’s convenient, especially if you forget your keys inside.
- Some models, such as the NEXX Garage NXG-100, can send reminders whenever you forget to close your garage door.
- You can set an opening/closing schedule for your garage door.
- Some units, again, such as the NEXX, automatically open the door when you drive near your house.
What to Look for in the Best WiFi Garage Door Opener
Although they seem similar, the various models of Garage Door Openers come with several differences, which is why you need to look for the features that will fulfill your needs and match your preferences. Here are the features that you should seek when hunting for the best WiFi garage door opener:
If you’re planning to control your garage using your smartphone, the first thing that you need to check is whether the door opener is compatible with your device – be it Android or iPhone – or not. That way, not only will you be able to determine which apps you can use but also what kind of permissions and access you’ll get.
When shopping for the best WiFi garage door opener, look for a unit that allows you to open and close your garage as well as monitor it for added security. Some models, such as the Gogogate 2, allow you to monitor the gate visually by connecting your security camera, which, although convenient, comes at an extra cost.
You also need to check how easy the unit is to operate and program, especially if you’re not a tech-savvy. Find out whether you need to install the remote before use. Here, you have two options: you should either get one where the remote is pre-programmed or opt for a model with a pre-installed remote.
Maximum Number of Doors
If you need to control and monitor more than one garage door, you ought to get a garage door opener that allows that, such as the Gogogate 2. Alternatively, you can shell out some extra cash and get several garage door openers and sync them together on the same app.
Although not mandatory, this feature can be really handy if you’re looking for some extra security. Keep in mind that you may have to pay a monthly fee or a one-time payment for this functionality and that the model must be compatible with your home security system.
The opening speed may vary from one unit to the next. While some devices, such as the Nexx, will ensure that your garage will open instantly as soon as you press the button, others may delay a bit.
The noise is another critical factor to consider, especially if you work late at night and get back home after your kids go to bed. If you’re looking for the best WiFi garage door opener, search for a model that works smoothly and quietly.
The warranty reflects how much a manufacturer trusts in their product. You ought to get a device with lifetime coverage, but make sure to check whether it includes the mechanism or individual parts and whether the warranty covers damage caused by the weather or not.
Getting the best WiFi garage door opener would not only make your life even a bit easier, but also add an extra layer of security to your property as you’ll be able to monitor who enters and leaves your house from anywhere.
Any of the above recommendations can be the best WiFi garage door opener for you depending on your needs and preferences, so make sure to read our buying guide thoroughly before m