5 Best Dog Toys for Destructive Chewers & Playful Fidos
Dog toys are important parts of a canine’s life. Like kids, they need something to entertain their selves. Toys also serve as stimulating tools to keep a dog mentally and physically busy. If not, these dogs will vent their energy into destructive ways. So if you have a chewer, you should look for the best dog toys for destructive chewers.
Dogs explore the world through their mouth. This is the same reason why a lot of them love chewing things – from your shoes to your couch. It can be a destructive habit if not addressed early on. But like any other behavioral problems, there’s always a workaround on your canine’s chewing habits. You just have to be patient and be creative with your approach.
Chew toys play an important role here. Instead of letting them chew your belongings, you can give your dog a specific item reserved for their daggers. This way, you can save time and money from cleaning up and replacing the damaged items.
In this post, we reviewed five of the best toys for dogs that chew through everything. Check which one suits your dog based on their chewing habits and preference.
1. KONG Extreme Dog Toy
Topping our list is the classic KONG Extreme Dog Toy. It’s made from heavy-duty rubber that even aggressive chewers can’t destroy. It has a hollow middle where you can stash treats or peanut butter to keep your dog busy for hours.
This dog toy is dishwasher-safe and very easy to clean. You can also freeze the toy with treats inside before giving it your doggo.
- Instinctual Needs: The KONG Extreme black rubber toy helps satisfy dogs' instinctual needs and provides mental stimulation. Healthy play is important for dogs' physical and mental development, emotions and behavior. By encouraging healthy play and satisfying instinctual needs, this treat dispensing puzzle toy helps solve chewing, separation anxiety, teething, boredom, weight management, crate training, digging and barking.
- Fetch Toy: The KONG Extreme's unpredictable bounce makes for exciting games of fetch and other interactive play with your pet. This rubber toy is specifically designed for super power chewers and can help them get the exercise they need.
Take note that this KONG toy is available in six sizes, ranging from small to 2XL. The bigger your dog is, the larger the toy should be.
This toy can be used as a chew toy or a fetch toy. It’s a versatile option that stimulates the mind of your dog. The KONG toy also satisfies the natural instincts of dogs. This makes it a great choice to combat boredom, digging habits, and barking.
Moreover, many veterinarians recommend the KONG toy. It’s also widely used by many trainers all over the world.
You can even make recipes to fill the middle of this toy. This makes it a very versatile choice if you want to keep playtime interesting.
- Made with durable rubber
- Can be stuffed with treats
- Versatile toy
- The sizing is tricky
2. Nylabone Power Chew Ring Toy
If you want a chew toy that will keep your dog busy while boosting its dental health, you should consider the Nylabone Power Chew Ring Toy. It’s a textured and uniquely shaped ring that will keep your dog occupied for hours. The unique shape also makes the toy easier to bite and hold.
The best thing about this chew ring is its yummy flavor that your dog can’t resist. For this one, your dog will get to taste a medley of delicious flavors throughout the ring.
- TEXTURED RING SHAPE – Unique shape with enticing textures is easy to hold and satisfies dogs' natural urge to chew
- MADE OF DURABLE NYLON – Long lasting dog chew toy challenges even the most aggressive chewers and discourages destructive chewing
Aside from being a great plaything, the Nylabone Chew Ring also helps clean your pet’s teeth. The nubs and ridges on the ring brush the canine’s teeth to reduce the formation of plaque and tartar.
You can give this to your dog for playtime, to prevent boredom, and to curb its aggressive chewing habits. It’s also a great distraction, so your dog won’t have bouts of anxiety attacks.
Take note that you should supervise your dog whenever you give this toy. If the material is starting to shred, it’s time for a replacement. For a very low price, you can actually afford to have a few of these toys lying around your home.
- Delicious flavor
- Ridges and nubs to promote dental health
- Made for aggressive chewers
- Not for puppies or dogs with small teeth
3. West Paw Hurley Zogoflex Dog Bone Toy
If you’re looking for the best dog chew bones for aggressive chewers, you should try the West Paw Zogoflex Dog Bone Toy. This is 8.25 inches long that can bounce and float on water. Still, it’s lightweight and can take the beating of regular chewing.
This is made to be your dog’s favorite chew toy that will keep it busy for hours. It’s made of durable and pliable material, the proprietary Zogoflex. And if the dog bone broke or got damaged fast, you can contact the seller, and they will replace the toy free of charge. Just take note that this is just a one-time offer.
The Hurley dog bone comes in three colors: light blue, yellow-green, and orange-brown.
If your dog can chew a tennis ball in an hour or rip rubber to pieces, this dog bone might be its match. It’s durable and can last for weeks for a very aggressive dog. For dogs with a light to moderate chewing, this toy can last for up to 6 months or more.
- Replacement guarantee
- Can float on water
- Suitable for aggressive chewers
- Puppies may not like it
4. EETOYS Nylon Bone Toy (Lifetime Replacement)
Another dog bone toy that you can consider for your dog is the EETOYS Nylon Bone. It’s made of non-toxic nylon with the brand’s patented Smooth Scrape Technology that keeps the toy extra firm. It’s not as brittle as other bone toys in the market.
If ever your chewer dog gets to shred small pieces and ingests it, you don’t have to worry. These tiny pieces will pass out of your dog’s body naturally without irritating their stomach.
- Made with Safe Material – As with all nylon toys, DOGS WILL BE ABLE TO CHIP OFF SMALL PIECES AND MAKE TEETH MARKS TO THIS CHEW TOY, they may swallow chipped-off pieces and should pass safely. Proper supervision is recommended. Excessive chewing without supervision on any chew toys can cut and cause dog’s gum to bleed and may crack teeth. When using nylon toy the first time, start with a short chewing session such as 5 minutes. Inspect the toy to trim off excess chewed up surface when necessary
- Improves Dental Hygiene: Help improve your dog’s dental hygiene to keep them healthy and save money on your dog’s dental bills. Chewing can help clean teeth(dental calculus) and control plaque and tartar, effectively cleans teeth to promote oral health and soothes discomforts from teething.
Aside from keeping a dog busy chewing and gnawing this bone, it’s also great for their dental hygiene. The chewing process helps brush your dog’s teeth so the plaque won’t build up. Paired with regular brushing, this bone toy can help keep your dog’s teeth in good condition.
The best part about the EETOYS Nylon Dog Bone is the lifetime guarantee. If the toy got damaged or arrived faulty, you can contact the brand, and they will send you a replacement anytime. You also have the option to refund your purchase.
Overall, this dog bone is an excellent way to kill the boredom of your dog.
- Patented Smooth Scrape Technology
- Lifetime replacement/refund guarantee
- Made of food-grade nylon
- Supervision is needed when giving this toy
5. MONSTER K9 Dog Toy Ring
If your chewer dog loves playing fetch, you must get him the MONSTER K9 Dog Toys Ultra-Durable Ring Toy. It’s made of a special rubber formula that can put up on the chewing and gnawing of the most aggressive dog. This is designed to have a solid yet chewable feel.
The MONSTER K9 Ring toy has been aggressive chewer-tested to prove its strength. It can bear the chewing of Mastiffs, Labs, German Shepherds, Pitbulls, and more. This ring toy is very useful for fetching and playtime with your chewer canine.
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE: Our proprietary natural rubber compound is engineered to be as strong and indestructible as physically possible. Whether you have a high-energy dog who plays non-stop, or a super aggressive chewer, our toys are designed and proven to outlast it all. Give your big dog a real challenge with a toy they’ll love!
- AGGRESSIVE CHEWER APPROVED: On top of the countless lab tests we do to make sure our toys are as strong & safe as possible, they’ve also been put to the ultimate test by thousands of large dogs who are known for being aggressive and destructive chewers: German Shepherds, Pitbulls, Bully’s, Labs, and more. Our toys have passed the ultimate test, with great reviews to back them up! So if your dog can destroy our toys, they are one of the toughest dogs around 😉
Overall, this is 100% safe and non-toxic for your pet. For added peace of mind, this ring is produced using 100% FDA-approved raw materials. It’s also tested by third-party laboratories.
The good thing about this durable ring toy is it has a soft feel, so prevent injuring your dog’s mouth. It won’t splinter too, which is excellent if dog bones are too much for your pet to handle.
Just take note that there’s a slight smell to the ring, which will wear off shortly. It’s not toxic to your dog.
Soft but tough
Made with FDA-approved materials
Mild smell (which will wear off fast)
Chew Toy Buying Guide
Consider your dog’s chewing level
The first thing you have to know is the chewing level of your dog. If you have a nibbler, softer chew toys are ideal for preventing gum injuries. However, if you have a destroyer, you should look for the toughest chew toy in the market.
Take note that just because a chew toy is branded as ‘indestructible’ doesn’t mean that it’s a wise buy. You should consider the other points we mentioned here as well.
Check the material
Next, consider the material used on the dog chew. For aggressive chewers, it’s usually a combination of rubber and food-grade nylon. Both have pros and cons, depending on the chewing habits of your dog. If your doggo keep on injuring its mouth with nylon toys, it’s best to get them a rubber chew toy instead.
Aside from the type, you should also guarantee that the material is safe for chewing. Check the hardness of the toy and the coating if it’s flavored. Make sure that it will cause stomach upset on your pet.
Avoid dog chew toys that have phthalates and BPA. These are toxic substances that no pet or human should be exposed to.
Choose the right shape
The shape of the dog toy can be a deal-breaker. If the chew toy is hard to mouth and chew, the dog may leave it alone and look for more interesting items to dig.
Usually, dog bones are easy to chew, though you have to be specific with the size. Dog rings are also great since it’s more interactive than the usual bone chews. You can also try the unique KONG toy we reviewed above so you can dispense treats while keeping your dog busy.
Avoid chew toys with squeakers
Squeakers can be torn away from the main toy and become a choking hazard. This can be deadly for dogs. Avoid any chew toy with squeakers, much so if you have a destructive canine.
Always supervise your dog when giving any chew toy. This way, you can act if your dog chokes or exhibits harsh reactions to the item. Like kids, you have to keep an eye on the canine while playing or busying themselves with a toy.
Opt of dental chew toys
We always recommend chew toys that also doubles as a dental toy. As your pet chews, the dental toy also brushes the tartar away to prevent plaque buildup. This way, your dog will both vent its chewing habits to less destructive ways. All the while, the chew toy is doing its job in promoting dental hygiene.
Avoid rawhide as much as possible
If you’re looking for chew toys, steer clear of rawhides. This material can be torn to pieces within minutes if you have an aggressive chewer. The torn pieces will become choking hazards.
We recommend sticking to rubber or nylon chew toys. Remember that even rope toys have their danger when it’s shredded or unraveled from the knot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is it safe to give my dog wooden sticks as chew toys?
A: It works for nibblers, but not for aggressive chewers. The wood splinters will only injure your dog and cause more problems in the long run. It’s best to get your pooch a dedicated chew toy made for canines. That way, your dog will also enjoy the dental health benefit of the chew toy.
Q: When should you throw away a Nylabone?
A: When the edges of the Nylabone are too worn out or has been shredded too much, it’s time to get a replacement. Also, when the Nylabone toy is already too small for chewing, you should get a new one. Avoid giving your dog a shredded Nylabone as it may cause harm.
Q: Can I leave my dog with a chew toy?
A: If the chew toy has a higher level of choking hazard than most, it’s best to supervise your dog. This way, you can prevent any untoward situation. Aside from that, it’s ideal if you’ll play with your pet to keep playtime more interesting.
Chew toys are great tools to channel the chewing habits of your canine into something less destructive. Just make sure that you get the right piece that suits your dog’s chewing level and preference. And to keep things interesting, spend some time bonding with your dog. Play with the canine so they will be mentally and physically stimulated.
Have you found the right chew toy for your dog? Which one did you choose? Let us know in the comment section below!