5 Best Cameras to Watch Pets While You’re Away
The best camera to watch pets allows you to watch over your furry baby even if you’re at work. It serves as your eye in your home to make sure that your pooch isn’t going into trouble. Still, pet cameras aren’t made equal. Each one has unique features that suit a variety of functions. From tilting, 360-degree controls, treat-dispensing, and more, you can find one that matches your preferences.
Even if you’re away or have to go on a trip for a few days, you can keep an eye on your pet. Just make sure that you place the cameras in an ideal location for a better view. Also, we recommend installing multiple units so you can track your pet all over your home.
Aside from letting you see your pet, such cameras also allow your dog or cat to see you, too. Some cams have audio and display screens that you communicate with your pet. Also, many pet cameras send notifications to you once it detected movement or activity nearby. This lets you know where your dog is inside the house.
Below, we reviewed five of the best pet cameras that you can get. Check which one you find most functional:
1. Furbo Treat-Tossing Dog Camera Compatible with Alexa (As Seen On Ellen)
The Furbo Treat-Tossing Dog Camera is an interactive pet cam with a 1080p Full HD camera. It has night vision and allows you to monitor your pet in a 160-degree field of view. This way, you can monitor your pet day and night.
Another great feature of this pet camera is its two-way audio and barking alert. It will send notifications to you once the device detects your dog’s barking. With this, you can act right away to calm your dog or to disrupt the noisy behavior. Also, it will alert you for potential burglary.
- 1080p Full HD Camera & Night Vision: livestream video to monitor your pet on your phone with a 160-degree wide-angle view, day & night.
- 2-Way Audio & BARKING ALERT: Furbo’s BARKING SENSOR detects when your dog is barking. It sends push notifications to your smartphone when it detects barking. Know what’s going on at home and talk to calm them down via the app.
The highlight of this camera is its treat-tossing mechanism. You can control this feature using the Furbo mobile app. This way, you can play with your pet even if you’re out of the house. This Furbo pet cam also works with Alexa for a hands-free treat-tossing at home.
Make sure that you have a steady Wi-Fi connection so the Furbo will work seamlessly. This device also has a Doggie Diary that stores highlights of your pet’s day that you can also download.
Simply plug this device, connect, and you’re all set.
- Extra treat-dispensing feature
- 1080p Full HD
- Barking alert system
- None so far
2. TOOGE FHD Pet Camera
If you’re looking for a smaller camera, you can try the TOOGE FHD Pet Camera. It has an HD camera and a Hi-Fi intercom so you can communicate with your pet anytime. Aside from that, this camera has a motion-detecting technology, so you’ll know if your dog is coming near. This works day and night, thanks to its 2 IR LEDs that can register images at pitch dark and up to 16 feet of distance.
- 1. Quick 2.4G Wifi Connection --- Fast WiFi setup via mobile App on iPhone/Android smartphone/tablets(it can't support MAC). This wireless security camera with APP supports remote access via mobile App anywhere and anytime.Support 7/24 video recording.
- 2. Great Day/Night Vision & Clear Two Way Talking --- Intelligent IR-Cut switch ensures high quality images both day and night. 2 IR leds, night vision up to 16 feet in pitch dark. Hi-Fi intercom without noise, souffle and echo, you can choose to listen/speak with this home security camera and start to communicate with your family/pet at anytime anywhere.
Moreover, the TOOGE camera has a tilt, pan, and zoom feature so you can enjoy 350 degrees of field view as well as 80 degrees of vertical rotation. You can also zoom in up to four times to look closely at your dog. Aside from that, it has a 112-degree wide-angle lens.
The TOOGE camera uses P2P technology, so everything is saved locally and not on the server. It uses a micro SD recording of up to 128 GB.
To set this up, you should connect the device on its mobile app to sync it to your home Wi-Fi connection. Take note that this camera isn’t compatible with Mac devices but works well on iOS smartphones and tablets.
- Tilt, pan, and zoom
- Two-way audio communication
- 350-degree view
- The motion sensor is a little bit too sensitive
3. Victure Indoor Wireless Pet Camera
Another excellent choice for a camera to watch pets at home is the Vincture Indoor Wireless Pet Camera. This uses an advanced video encryption technology so your files won’t leak into the internet. Everything is stored locally on a micro SD card (up to 64 GB for class 10).
The highlight of this pet cam is its 1920 x 1080p resolution with no distortion. You can see your pet clearly, not to mention that it also comes with clear IR LEDs so you can use the cam at night for up to 30 feet in pitch dark distance.
- [Advanced Video Encryption Technology] The unique encryption technology is adopted by the wifi camera to save videos on micro SD card. Video files in SD card can only be accessed by yourself in your own account. No body can steal your privacy even though the SD card is lost or the camera is stolen. Micro SD card storage indoor camera supports up to 64GB at C10
- [FHD-1080P Night Vision] With 1920*1080 resolution, no distortion, Victure pet camera offers an correct angle and clear view for you. 10pcs 850mm IR LEDs extends the range of night vision reach up to 30 feet in pitch dark, taking the advanced night vision experience to you
Also, this comes with Smart motion detection that will send push notifications to your phone. It will help prevent invasion, and you’ll see where your dog is.
Moreover, you can play and communicate with your pet using its two-way microphone and speaker.
Unlike other pet cameras, this one has a broader view of up to 355 degrees horizontally and 100 degrees vertically. You can easily tilt and pan the lens so you can see the entire room with a single camera.
- Better pitch dark performance
- Broader view angles
- Encrypted video recording
- Only compatible with 2.4G Wi-Fi connections
4. KAMTRON Wireless IP Security Camera
If you want a pet camera that you can put anywhere, you can get the KAMTRON Wireless Security Camera. Due to its cordless construction, you can place just about anywhere.
This camera has a 1080p lens with a 350-degree panoramic view as well as a 100-degree vertical pan. Like most pet cameras, this one comes with an IR LED night vision so you can monitor your dog 24/7.
- 24/7 with 360° hd 1080P panoromic view - KAMTRON home camera monitor your home in full 1080P HD with 350°horizontal & 100°vertically rotation, covers every corner of your home; super IR LED night vision lets you detect what’s happening around the clock, without light pollution, gives full day protection for you.
- Smart Motion Detection Alerts with 2 Way Audio - App alerts with snapshot & record to your mobile device when motion is detected, push you live feed when capture activities right from the start, and you could interactive with your family or dog timely by this security camera 2 way audio when get the real-time notifications.
Moreover, the KAMTRON wireless cam has a smart motion detection technology as well as a two-way audio app that lets you communicate with your pet. Using the app, you can also take screenshots and video recordings of what’s being captured by the camera to be saved on your mobile device.
The camera itself is also recording and saves the files in an SD card. Rest assured that this uses a video encryption technology to protect the recorded material from leaking.
To set this app, you should download the MIPC view app. Just take note that this camera doesn’t support 5G connections. Nevertheless, the biggest consolation here is that you can set up multiple cameras in separate terminals.
- IP wireless camera
- Video encryption technology
- Comes with a wall mount
- Does not support 5G connections
5. Pet Camera, Security Camera Conico 1080P HD Wireless Camera
Lastly, we recommend the Conico Pet Camera. This one has a 350-degree pan view and a 100-degree tilt to complement its zoom power of up to eight times. It also comes with a clear night vision lens that allows you to see up to 32 feet in pitch darkness.
Also, this Conico camera is equipped with a motion-tracking sensor as well as a sound detector. It lets you know if your dog is barking or if someone is present in your home.
- 【PAN/TILT/ZOOM AND CLEAR IR NIGHT VISION】Boasting 350°Pan 100°Tilt, and 8X Zoom, the 1080P HD home security camera delivers the whole picture of your home, even better, in stunning clarity and vividness. Night vision is up to 32 feet and can be seen clearly even in complete darkness.
- 【SOUND DETECTION AND MOTION TRACKING】Conico security camera is not only a house protector, but a powerful helper. Smart sound detection, motion detection helps you know when your baby's crying or somebody break-ins. Also, the motion tracking features let you follow the action, whether a pet racing around the living room or a youngster toddling toward trouble.
We also like its noise-canceling mic that lets you communicate with pets easily. Also, you can take snapshots and personal recordings of the footage aside from what’s saved on the camera memory itself.
This camera utilizes cloud storage as well as a micro SD card storage of up to 128 GB. Just take note that this camera isn’t compatible with 5G connection and must be connected to the MIPC app so you can control it using your phone.
With 1080p quality, this camera will let you see your pet and your home clearly.
- Zoom of up to 8 times
- Noise-canceling microphone
- Excellent night vision performance
- The instructions say SD card, though it should be a micro SD card
Buying Guide for Home Camera to Watch Pets
The first thing you have to do is to check the image quality of the pet camera. Most topnotch pet cameras have a high-definition resolution of at least 1080p. This is so you can see your pet clearly, even if you are zooming in. A 720p resolution is also decent.
Aside from that, you should also check the night vision resolution of the camera. Pet cameras usually have IR LEDs that allow you to see your pet even if the room is in the pitch dark. Also, check how far the camera allows you to see your pet on night vision.
Although high-def cams are costlier than low-grade options, you’ll surely get more value.
Next, you should check how much field of view you’ll get from the camera. The best pet camera can be panned up to 355 degrees. Also, a tilt of at least 80 degrees is advisable. The wider the view, the better. This way, you will need fewer cameras to set up inside your home.
Clear two-way audio
When it comes to pet cameras, a two-way microphone is a must. This is so you can talk and play with your pet. It also allows you to listen in the surroundings if you suspect that someone is present in your home.
A two-way talk system lets you interrupt destructive behavior and excessive barking. It’s also an excellent way to bond with your dog even if you’re spending most of the day away from home.
Some cameras have screens that allow your dog to see you. Also, some units have a button that you can train your dog to press so they can call you.
A motion sensor is an additional security function that alerts you of any unusual activity at home. Also, it’s useful, so you’ll know when your pet is active and where it is inside the house.
Push notifications and alerts
Push notifications are very useful, especially if you want to monitor your dog’s activities. For example, a pet camera with a bark alert will send notifications to your mobile phone. This way, you can call your dog’s attention and stop it from doing the noisy feat.
Reliable recording system
Your pet camera should record continuously even if you’re not actively checking on your pet. Pet cams use micro SD cards to record an encrypted file that you can download and save on your mobile device.
Most pet cameras use local storage, though you can find one that you can sync in the cloud.
Easy-to-use mobile application
All pet cameras have to be connected to a mobile application for navigation. You should look for one that is easy to use and set up. The tilt, pan, and zoom controls should be easy to use and should work in real-time.
Additional functions like Alexa compatibility, treat dispensing, and built-in lasers are a big plus for a pet camera. Although the main purpose of a camera is to connect you to your dog, these additional functions give more value to your money.
Pet cameras come in a wide range of price tags. You can always find affordable options, though it’s usually basic and may not be as high-def as investing in a premium model. Still, the choice is yours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will a pet camera work even without a Wi-Fi connection?
A: Some pet cameras may continue recording locally even if it’s not connected to the internet. However, you can control it if you’re not at home or if you’re thinking of communicating with your pet.
Q: Is a pet camera safe?
A: We recommend getting a pet camera with an encryption technology so hackers won’t quickly get through your device. Also, even if the memory card got stolen, the thief won’t access the files since it’s locked and protected.
Q: Can I rely on my pet camera for security?
A: If you’re thinking of using the motion detector of pet cameras for security purposes, you have to be picky with the unit you’re going to buy. Avoid one with extremely sensitive sensors, which can falsely engage.
Pet cameras serve as the bridge to you and your pet while you are busy at work. You’ll never miss your pet, not to mention that you still get to play with it. Just make sure that you purchased the best camera and configured it properly.